Image Map

5.24.2015

10 Greatest Trips of College

So, in beginning to brainstorm for this, I came up with a list of every trip I took during my collegiate years that I could think of. I was going to narrow it down to just road trips, but I decided with my extensive flying that would exclude some top notch traveling. How many did I come up with (even without including the times I went home by myself or individual Humanities Tour sub-trips)? 43. Forty-freaking-three.

Before college, I didn't really give a lick about going to new places. Now? Now I can't stop. In fact, I'm writing this while I wait to board a plane to Orlando, a trip I planned two weeks ago (and got for less than $120 roundtrip - ask me for dets if you're interested).

Now for the list (in no particular order). And I kind of cheated by grouping some together, but it's my blog, so I can do what I want.

1. Louisville - I was so ridiculously homesick my first semester of college, so I thought it'd be a good idea to merge my two worlds. And it helped! Hillary and Anna came home with me, and Shelby tagged along, too! 


2. Mountain Internship Trips - There was that one time I went on my maiden voyage to New York City. Hannah, Bri, Lindsey, Wes, John, and I left after Mountain's weekend services, drove up, attended a service at Hillsong NYC, stopped by Times Square, and then drove back. It was beautiful.

Then there was that time when Hurricane Sandy came, and Mountain was quick to respond with help. Two days later (around 8 PM), Emilee and I got in a van with a bunch of old ladies and rode up to NYC. After crossing over the bridge into a pitch black New York, we delivered a bunch of hurricane relief supplies, and then we turned around to come back. At 3 AM Ben decided it'd be a good idea to stop for some cheesesteaks in Philadelphia, and there I ate my first authentic Philly Cheesesteak. It had nothin' on Niagara Falls' Violas, though. #goGrandma

Also, one week the interns and residents rode in a van from Baltimore to Atlanta for the Catalyst conference. Ethan Magness played a harmonica while driving the van, there was a "no headphones" rule, and when Ethan missed the exit he pulled over, backed up on the highway, and proceeded onto the correct route. Enough said. 




3. Trip to Greenville Airport - In mid-February of my sophomore year, my Grandpa's health all of a sudden took a turn for the worse. My parents didn't know how much longer he'd live. They told me this news at 7 PM. My tickets were immediately booked, and at midnight the beautiful Lindsey Meding drove me almost three hours to the Greenville airport in South Carolina, turned around, and went to class the next day (actually, she probably didn't go to class, but that's not the point). On that trip we had the most beautiful of conversations, and Lindsey selflessly showed that the good kind of friends drop whatever they're doing when their friends are in need.


4. Spontaneous Trip to Mountain - Speaking of Lindsey, there was that one Wednesday she randomly decided she missed Mountain and was going to take quick weekend trip up there. Hannah Appel and I decided to tag along, and we spent 15 hours on the road for probably 40 hours there. It was the best.



5. Baltimore Easters - I also spent two Easters in a row up at Mountain. Those two long weekends were spent loving on and being loved by some Dudecks and McDades, and they were beautiful. It was then that the gift of hospitality was most clearly shown to me. And if you ever get the chance to attend a Mountain staff Easter party, do it. 





6. New Hampshire Surprise - Remember that one time I told my friend Lauren I was going to California for Spring Break and then showed up in her house in New Hampshire? Then we spent the next few days going to Boston and braving the New England tundra just to grab lunch? Then I was persuaded to move there for the summer? That was a great time.


7. Gatlinburg - I mentioned this trip in my last post, but it definitely deserves to be on this one, too. Yay for breaking inconsequential rules!


8. Wilmington - One week I decided I wanted to spend the following weekend seeing some of my extended family and going to Wilmington, North Carolina where ONE TREE HILL WAS FILMED. So, I texted my aunt, talked with my OTH-loving friends, and set off! It was a real quick trip, but it was a dream come true. :)



9. Knoxville Study Weekend #1 - In order to hang out with my friends my senior year I had to do a lot of homework (or pretend to do it). However, that sometimes included weekend trips to Knoxville where we got to eat Mama Chambers' homemade meals and play with Lizzie and Ralphie. The day I met Lizzie and the following weekend with her, Darcie, and Mandy without a doubt makes the list.


10. Humanities Tour - The trip that broadened my horizons, changed my life's desires, and made me feel the most loved and wanted I've ever felt. 


Here's to many more adventures!

signature

No comments:

Post a Comment