Image Map

8.07.2009

With Malice Toward None - Favorite Quotes

Sorry I have yet to finish posting my Dominican journal entries, but before I do that, I want to share with you some of my favorite quotes from the book I just finished reading - "With Malice Toward None - a Life of Abraham Lincoln"

"
-The legitimate object of government is 'to do for the people what needs to be don, but which they can not, by individual effort, do at all, or do so well, for themselves.'

- ... a drop of honey catches more flies than a gallon of gall.

- He always told only enough of his plans and purposes to induce the belief that he had communicated all, yet he reserved enough to have communicated nothing.

- This is a world of compensations; and he who would be no slave, must consent to have no slave. Those who deny freedom to others, deserve it not for themselves.

- You speak of Lincoln's stories. I don't think that is a correct phrase. I don't make the stories mine by telling them. I am only a retail dealer. Some of the stories are not so nice as they might be, but I tell you the truth when I say that a funny story, if it has the element of genuine wit, has the same effect on me that I suppose a good square drink of whiskey has on an old toper; it puts new life into me.

-I am a slow walker, but I never walk back.

- As always, he pardoned convicted deserters on any reasonable pretext. 'There are already too many weeping widows in the United States. For God's sake do not ask me to add to the number.'
"

No comments:

Post a Comment